The Stone Crabs dropped the series opener to the Jupiter Hammerheads 6-2 on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Despite a close game most of the night, the Stone Crabs gave up four runs in the top of the ninth to suffer the loss. Greg Sexton failed to get a hit on the night, ending his hitting streak at twelve games. That now leaves Hak-Ju Lee with the longest active hitting streak that was extended to ten games tonight.
Jupiter took the lead in the third inning. Taylor Krick doubled to right with two outs to put a runner in scoring position. Krick then scored on a double by Jose Duarte to give the Hammerheads a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs wasted no time tying the game as they posted a run of their own in the bottom half of the third. Hak-Ju Lee and Tyler Bortnick got things going with back to back singles. Brett Nommensen drove home Lee with a double to left that tied the game 1-1.
Jupiter regained the lead in the top of the sixth. Jeremy Synan was hit by a pitch. Synan then advanced to second on a wild pitch and later scored on an RBI single by Kyle Jensen to give them a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs battled back to tie the game in the eighth inning. Dustin Biell reached on an error to lead off the inning. Lee advanced Biell to third with a bunt single to third. Bortnick drove home the tying run with a ground ball to second that tied the game 2-2.
But the Hammerhead posted four runs in the ninth inning to secure the win. RBI singles by Daniel Pertusati and Krick followed by a two run homer by Duarte handed the Stone Crabs the 6-2 loss in the series opener.
Scott Shuman was charged with the loss while Ramon Benjamin recorded the win for Jupiter.
These two clubs are back on the field tomorrow night with the middle game of the series. Alex Colome is scheduled to start against Rob Rasmussen.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 0 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 2 for 4.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 0 for 4.
- Mayo Acosta (C): 0 for 4.
- Chris Murrill (LF): 0 for 3.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 3 with a run scored.
- Jake Thompson: 2 no-hit innings with 1 strikeouts.
- Adam Liberatore: 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts in 4 innings.
- Josh Satow: no runs on 1 hit with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 2 innings.
- Scott Shuman (Loss, 0-1): 4 runs on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 1 inning.