The Stone Crabs struggle continues as they lost a close game to the Jupiter Hammerheads 4-3 on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs gave up two long balls on the night to Jupiter hitters and that was all that was needed to hand them their second loss of the series.
The Hammerheads took the lead in the second inning on a solo home run by Kyle Jensen to give them a 1-0 lead.
But the Stone Crabs answered with three runs in the bottom of the second. Mark Thomas doubled to center with one out to put a runner in scoring position. Mayo Acosta then reached on an error to give the Stone Crabs runners on the corners. Chris Murrill tied the game with an RBI single to left that scored Thomas. Matt Hall then knocked home the second run of the inning with a single to center. Murrill would later score on an RBI single by Hak-Ju Lee that gave the Stone Crabs a 3-1 lead.
Jupiter then posted a three run inning of their own in the fifth to retake the lead. Ernesto Manzanillio doubled to center to lead off the inning. Jose Duarte then drew a walk. Jeff Dominguez cleared the bases with a three run homer off Mike Jarman to give them a 4-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs could not collect any further runs through the final frames as they fell 4-3 to the Hammerheads.
Major Leaguer JP Howell pitched an inning to start the game as part of his rehab assignment, he allowed no hits while striking out one. The game also saw the 2011 debut of Kyle Lobstein who was just activated from the disabled list.
Jarman was charged with a blown save and the loss while Rob Rasmussen picked up the win for Jupiter.
The Stone Crabs look to avoid the sweep in the series finale against the Hammerheads on Friday night. Alex Colome is scheduled to start against Chad James.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 3 with an RBI.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 4.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 0 for 4.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4 with a double and an run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Mayo Acosta (DH): 0 for 4 with a run scored.
- Chris Murrill (CF): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Matt Hall (LF): 1 for 2 with an RBI.
- Anthony Scelfo (PH-LF): 1 for 1.
- JP Howell: 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout.
- Kyle Lobstein: 3 runs on 3 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 3 2/3 innings.
- Mike Jarman (Loss, 1-2): 1 run on 3 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 2 1/3 innings.
- Deivis Mavarez: 2 shut-out innings with 2 hits, 2 strikeouts and 3 walks.
Questions, Comments Suggestions…Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org